Wow, 2016 seriously FLEW by. It was a really stressful, heartbreaking year and I’m really glad it’s coming to an end. I know the beginning of 2017 is going to be pretty bumpy, too, but I’m still hopeful it’ll be better than 2016 was!
This survey is hosted by the lovely Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner. All questions and images belong to her! Thanks, Jamie!!
So, here we go!
Number Of Books You Read: 57 (This is the least number of books I’ve read in a year in a LONG time.. Stupid reading slump! Sigh)
Number of Re-Reads: 8.5 (I’m in the middle of a re-read right now but won’t finish before midnight)
Genre You Read The Most From: Sci-Fi/Fantasy, retellings, etc. My usual :)
1. Best Book You Read In 2016? I have two. They are a 100% tie. First was A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas. THIS BOOK WAS UTTER PERFECTION AND IT BROKE ME. The second is actually a 2017 release, and that is Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones. THIS BOOK IS INTOXICATING AND BEAUTIFUL AND IT HAS LEFT ME BREATHLESS!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Heartless by Marissa Meyer. I’m still sad panda that I didn’t enjoy it more.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige. I really hated Dorothy Must Die, so I was shocked I enjoyed Stealing Snow so much!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? A Court of Mist and Fury and Wintersong! Even though I read them at the end of the year, I pushed them a LOT once I read them!
5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016? Best series I started was The Conquerors Saga from Kiersten White, with book one being And I Darken. We have so few historical fiction novels in YA that are PURE historical fiction – it was refreshing!.
Best sequel of 2016 is A Court of Mist and Fury!!!!!
Best series ender was The Lost Codex by Heather Lyons. SO EPIC AND SO MANY FEELS!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016? Oh, I can’t name just one! I discovered several: Marieke Nijkamp, Evelyn Skye, Gena Showalter, Roshani Chokshi, Kendare Blake, CJ Redwine and Jessica Cluess.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Honestly, I didn’t really read anything out of my comfort zone this year, thanks to a reading slump that effected my reading for months.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? This should be obvious by now.. A Court of Mist and Fury!!!
9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? *Points at question 8*
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016? I’d have to say Wintersong! The writing is gorgeous, haunting, intoxicating – just utterly amazing.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016? This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp. I’m still not over this one.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? I didn’t read a lot of back-list, so I can’t answer this. Though I’m sorry I waited so long to read A Court of Mist and Fury! But that was only by a few months.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016? From My Lady Jane:
“Was that a horse joke?”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
Longest: A Court of Mist and Fury (624)
Shortest: Proposal (The Mediator, #6.5) by Meg Cabot (144)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most A Court of Mist and Fury, hahaha.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!). FEYRE AND RHYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year Feyre and Mor in A Court of Mist and Fury
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously A Court of Mist and Fury!!! Duh!!! ^_^
21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: Hmmm… I don’t think I had any book that I read SOLELY based on a recommendation. But recommendations aided in my decisions to read certain books.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016? Definitely Magnus from A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess!
23. Best 2016 debut you read? A Shadow Bright and Burning!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Absolutely Wintersong. No contest (Although the Night Court in A Court of Mist and Fury is a very close second!).
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? A Court of Mist and Fury!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016? A Court of Mist and Fury!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Queen of Hearts by Colleen Oakes. I think it got lost because Heartless came out this year. But Queen of Hearts was WAY better.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? A Court of Mist and Fury
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016? Hmm.. Probably And I Darken, since – again – it’s a very rare, PURE historical fiction novel. And YA needs more of those.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad? Harmony House. The rage is real. I’m still raging over this one.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2016? I was sadly disconnected from the blogging world this year, so I didn’t discover any new ones.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2016? Does it surprise anyone that the answer is A Court of Mist and Fury?
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? My “The Many Ships of Reign” blog tour post. Because Reign!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? I didn’t actually attend any interesting events or signings this year.. :| But if we’re talking virtual events, then helping to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Morganville was amazingly fun! UPDATE: How stupid I am to have forgotten I attended Leigh Bardugo’s Strand event for Crooked Kingdom! So, obviously, that was my favorite author signing of 2016!!!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2016? When I wrote “Once Upon a Time: Zac Brewer” and this happened:
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? A lot of Life Stuff happened and I was in a terrible blogging and reading slump for a good portion of the year. Like.. February-September. I’m slowly coming out of both slumps, but it’s been tough.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? My HarperTeen Summer 2016 Blog Tour post, at 699 views.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? My “The Many Ships of Reign” blog tour post. Because Reign!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? Icey Designs on Etsy
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Nope :( This is the first time since 2014 that I failed my Goodreads reading challenge, and by about 12 books – and that’s after I lowered my goal twice! Reading slumps suck!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2016 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017? *Laugh Cries* Too many to name!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)? A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas!
3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? Sea Witch by Sarah Henning!!!! GIMME!!!!!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017? A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017? Just read and blog more. More original content – like my “Once Upon a Time” and “Television Tuesday” posts.
6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone Absolutely Wintersong!
Hope you guys enjoyed the survey! I know I had a lot of fun answering the questions – some of which really forced me to stop and think! Don’t forget to head over to the Perpetual Page Turner to see the linky list of all the other blogs who participated. And of course, feel free to leave a comment with a link to your best of 2016 survey or just answer a few of the questions!
And have a great New Year’s eve and New Year’s day!