Wow, 2015 seriously FLEW by. It was a really stressful year and I’m actually glad it’s coming to an end. I know the beginning of 2016 is going to be pretty bumpy, too, but I’m still hopeful it’ll be better than 2015 was!
Anyway! I did the 2013 End of Year Book Survey, but missed the 2014 survey (the last few months of 2014 were just as stressful as 2015, if not more so!), so I’m really excited to be participating this year! Even though 2015 was rough on my personal life, I still read some amazing books and experienced some epic bookish things!
This survey is hosted by the lovely Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner. All questions and images belong to her! Thanks, Jamie!!
So, here we go!
Number Of Books You Read: 76 (But, before today is out, it might end up being 77!)
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read The Most From: Dystopian and Sci-Fi, mostly!
1. Best Book You Read In 2015? This is REALLY tough! I’m going to have to cheat and pick a few! So, in no particular order: Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone, Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas, The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo and Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Winter by Marissa Meyer. I LOVED this series, but I had some issues with Winter, which you can read about in my review. But actually, there were a few I thought I was going to love and didn’t. I won’t list them all, but I’m definitely a Sad Panda over that :(
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Surprising in a Bad Way: Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch. I really enjoyed Snow Like Ashes, but then I DNF’d Ice Like Fire. It was.. I was really disappointed :( Surprising in a Good Way: Becoming Jinn by Lori Goldstein. I’d heard some very meh things about this one, so I was nervous to read it, especially since I’m on friendly terms with the author. But I ended up LOVING it!! I’m VERY excited for the sequel!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? Definitely the Grisha trilogy and Six of Crows!
5. Best series you started in 2015?: The Grisha trilogy! I binged it and LOVED it! It’s one of my absolute favorite trilogies ever!
Best Sequel of 2015?: Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray! THAT CLIFFHANGER OMG!!!
Best Series Ender of 2015?: Err.. I actually only read a few series enders in 2015 and I didn’t enjoy them all that much :( The only one I can name is Ruin & Rising, but that wasn’t published in 2015!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015? OMG, so many! Becky Albertalli, S.E. Green, Tamara Ireland Stone, Virginia Boecker, Leigh Bardugo, Lori Goldstein and Sarah Fine, to name a few!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood by Liesl Shurtliff (April 2016). I don’t read much MG, but I read about 3 or 4 this year and LOVED. Red doesn’t come out until April 2016, but I’m participating in a pre-pub blog tour in February. I’m really excited!!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? Definitely Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young. I couldn’t put it down! Seriously loved!
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? I don’t do much re-reading, but I’d say Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray, so it’s fresh in my mind when I read the third and final book in the trilogy!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015? Definitely Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray!
11. Most memorable character of 2015? Alina from the Grisha trilogy and Inej from Six of Crows!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015? Absolutely Winter by Marissa Meyer. I might not have enjoyed the book as much as I’d hoped to, but she’s a gorgeous, gorgeous storyteller!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015? Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone. For reasons I don’t really want to talk about yet, this book was very near and dear to my heart.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo!!! Definitely!!!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015? I’m very bad about writing down my favorite quotes… So.. *Runs away!*
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015? Shortest was YOLO Juliet by Brett Wright. Longest was Winter by Marissa Meyer!
17. Book That Shocked You The Most Six of Crows and Ten Thousand Skies above you both had epic cliffhanger endings! And Hotel Ruby’s ending shocked me, too!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) Ooohh… Definitely Alyssa and Morpheus from the Splintered series!!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year This is a little twisted, but the friendship between Samantha and Caroline in Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone. If you’ve read it, you know why it’s a bit twisted!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously Every single book I read by Heather Lyons. She’s amazing!
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 that You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. But I actually didn’t really enjoy it :(
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015? Nikolai from The Grisha trilogy!!! He’s so swoony and epic and wonderful and I hope he gets his own series someday!
23. Best 2015 debut you read? Definitely Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli! So many feels!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? Definitely Winter by Marissa Meyer! Again, she’s such a gorgeous storyteller, her world just comes alive!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? Another one for Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli! So many feels!!!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015? I don’t often cry while reading, but When Reason Breaks by Cindy L. Rodriguez made me cry!!!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Hotel Ruby by Suzanne Young didn’t get nearly enough props, considering how epic it was!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015? The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich! It was written in a non-linear way, with journal entries, transcribed video footage, diary entries and interviews. Plus, it had a twisty, epic ending! Also, the OMG! Shakespeare books – because Shakespeare told in emojis, text messages, Facebook status updates, etc? Epic!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Ensnared by A.G. Howard. I LOVED Splintered and Unhinged. But Ensnared really fell flat and that made me angry because it’s such a great series and it could have been amazing!
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015? Definitely Brittany’s Book Rambles!
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? I actually didn’t have many discussion posts on my blog this year.. :( Next year, that will change!!! :)
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? Definitely BEA 2015… Which I still need to write my recap for O.o
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015? Again, Definitely BEA 2015!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? My 2-year Blogoversary post received 810 views!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? I’m pretty content with how much love my posts got (i.e, too lazy to go looking for this statistic! Whoops, hehe!)
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? Umm.. I don’t think I discovered anything new this year that I didn’t already know about.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? Just the Goodreads 2015 Reading Challenge!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016? *Laugh Cry Emoji.* That list is so long…
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)? Definitely A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas! But also Heartless by Marissa Meyer – Both are, like… *Grabby hands!!!!*
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? There are a couple! But I think The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye is definitely at the top! Also, The Darkest Corners by Kara Thomas!!!
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016? Remembrance (The Mediator, #7) by Meg Cabot!!!! *Insert Heart Eye Emoji*
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016? I have a fun feature I want to introduce in January, I’m just hoping I can handle it and see it through! Also, I haven’t re-read Harry Potter since 2009 (OUTRAGE! GASP! BLASPHEMY!) So, that has to happen, for sure!
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: I’ve only read a small number of 2016 releases, but from those, I’d say The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine! Gorgeous writing, intriguing plot, epic characters! And it comes out Tuesday, so the wait isn’t that long!!
Hope you guys enjoyed the survey! I know I had a lot of fun answering the questions – some of which really forced me to stop and think! Don’t forget to head over to the Perpetual Page Turner to see the linky list of all the other blogs who participated. And of course, feel free to leave a comment with a link to your best of 2015 survey or just answer a few of the questions!
And have a great New Year’s eve and New Year’s day!